Sunday, July 27, 2008

Nursery troubles

I knew it is going to be a hard day when during Sacrament meeting I took Sam out to change his diaper and he didn't want to leave because he thought I was going to take him to nursery. After Sacrament meeting I told him it was time to go to nursery and he started crying right then. He didn't last 30 seconds in the nursery before he made himself throw up. Yes Sam can make himself throw up if he gets really upset. It can be a little frustrating and now a little embarrassing to say the least. He did so well going to nursery in CA and his first 1-2 Sundays here but now he screams whenever we walk in there and won't let go of me. I stayed with him the first few Sundays and tried to get him to play with the other kids but any time I would start to move away he'd run to my side and start crying. I tried talking to him and letting him know that I was going to be back soon. The last couple weeks I tried putting him in there and letting him cry it out. I'm not sure if that was the best idea considering how today went. I don't know how to help him adjust and get over his separation anxiety. He's usually ok on one on one situations, I don't know if it's because there are so many kids or if he was traumatized by something. Any suggestions?

11 comments:

Rick and Janae said...

This is why I joined the YMCA, Wyatt just needed more experiences being away from me. It really made him a completely different kid in nursery, he LOVES it now.

jen said...

i wish i could help. we are going through the exact same thing with lily. she HATES it. and will not let us leave. i tried letting her cry it out too but couldn't do it anymore. it's so hard!!!

buhlersdayoff said...

OH we know the feeling!! Brinley has been in Nursery for over a year now and we still struggle with that same problem!!! The only thing that works every now and then is to have Mike take her because she is used to him leaving and then coming back? The other thing is that we went to Idaho to visit MIke's parents and his mom is a nursery leader so she went with her and loved it and decided it isn't too bad after all but for you I don't know that, that idea is a possibility. GOOD luck and if you find something that works let me know because we still have that same problem quite often!!

Bryn Stucki said...

Hey Jen, I'm glad you guys are doing well and hopefully we will join you in VA next year! I don't know much about nursery but I do know that some kids in our nursery are traumatized for the first little while after they move. I think moving is hard for young kids because nothing but you and your husband are familiar to them, so maybe he just needs a couple more months of seeing the same kids over and over. Good Luck!

Morgan Moore said...

Hey you! Congrats on making it to the east coast (we are very jealous). Here's my 2 cents: I wouldn't push the Nursery thing. Henry was the exact same way. You've been through a lot of changes and kids needs time to adjust. If he wants to go, let him, if he doesn't, no big deal (as long as you don't mind taking him to your class.) Henry was going to nursery, but when I got pregnant he absolutely would not go. I think he could sense that things were going to be changing. We didn't push it, let him come to our class and as soon as the baby was born and he realized everything would be okay, he practically started running back to nursery! Just give him time to adjust.

xoxo

April Celeste Garff said...

It’s good to hear that all is well with you guys in Virginia and we were exited to find your blog. Thanks again for looking after the dogs I’m sure it was a hectic time for you guys. Hope you have fun out there. By the way we are at http://www.theworldaccordingtogarff.blogspot.com

The Thomases said...

Hey Jen, have you tried giving him a transitional object (something that he can bring from home and take with him to nursery)? I would recommend that to some of my client's parents and sometimes it would help. Good luck!

Patty said...

Hey Jen! It's nice to hear that you guys are having good times in Virginia. I know it's hard to see our little ones crying and not going to nursery happy like we'd like, but they need their time to adjust the changes and Sam has had a lot last few months. So be patient and give him a choice, be with him in nursery for some moments, take a family picture and give to him.... Hope he gets used to nursery soon. Good luck!

John and Sheri said...

hey jen. I know how that goes and it kills you to see him so sad. It'll just take time getting used to a new envirnoment and unfamiliar faces. Just keep exposing him to different things with and without you being present. Hang in there, he'll come around.

MSorenson said...

Sorry, I don't have any advice. Our big thing right now is Taylor thinking he doens't need to take a nap and let me tell you he is wrong! I don't know what to do either. Kids are great, too bad they don't come with instructions though!

The Corbridge's said...

Sorry to hear that Sam is having a hard time adjusting to his new nursery class. Hopefully it will just take time.

I am glad to hear that you guys are in VA- we are anxious to see your house with your before and after pics.